« CFP: Petrie-Flom Center: BEYOND DISADVANTAGE: DISABILITY, LAW, AND BIOETHICS | Main | What I Teach in "Introduction to the Study of Law," With an Assist from Hugh Trevor-Roper »

Friday, August 04, 2017

Law Review Submission Angsting Thread: Fall 2017

It looks to be about that time of year again.  Post here for comments about your law review submission experiences.  I'm wondering if the Northwestern exclusive review, with its decisions made by July 28, has moved up the process a bit.

UPDATE: You can get to the last page of the comments here.

Posted by Matt Bodie on August 4, 2017 at 08:32 AM in Law Review Review | Permalink


Ugh, this process is awful. I submitted to 74 journals last Thursday (Feb 8), and have only heard rejections (all T-15 and UMKC). Last time I submitted through this process was Aug 2014, and I had a signed offer and acceptance after 5 days. I would have expected the Aug cycle to take longer than Feb, but that seems not to be the case. I’m not surprised at the rejections so far (except UMKC); I have a unique interdisciplinary speciality that is notoriously hard to place.

Posted by: asstProf | Feb 15, 2018 11:29:10 AM

Any update?

Posted by: Anon | Nov 1, 2017 8:08:27 PM

@Anon 5:18:19
Chicago has been completely silent.
BC and Arizona have been equally silent.
Not sure what's going on.

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 16, 2017 6:18:53 PM

@Anon 5:18:19
Chicago has been completely silent.
BC and Arizona have been equally silent.
Not sure what's going on.

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 16, 2017 6:18:46 PM

@Anon 5:18:19
Chicago has been completely silent.
BC and Arizona have been equally silent.
Not sure what's going on.

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 16, 2017 6:18:45 PM

Any recent news from Chicago? Thanks!

Posted by: Anon | Oct 16, 2017 5:18:19 PM

Ding from SMU

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 13, 2017 10:50:12 AM

George Washington ding

Posted by: Guest | Oct 12, 2017 10:53:22 PM

Thanks for the input last week, postdoc!

Posted by: Specialty vs flagship | Oct 11, 2017 6:07:58 PM

Query - congratulations! I think it depends on what your goals are and whether you have other publications. It seems like a good sign that your article would place better if you submit early in the spring cycle. But then there is the "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" issue. It's a risk to wait until January/February when you have a good offer in your hand now. Another consideration is how long you can wait to update your CV.

Posted by: JollyGoodFellow | Oct 11, 2017 9:42:13 AM

I received an offer out of the blue (i.e. without expedite) from a journal at a law school ranked in the mid-50s by USN. I submitted very late and so many of the top journals were closed when I submitted. Would you all advise me to take this offer (after expedite deadline) or try again in the spring?

Posted by: Query | Oct 10, 2017 5:29:31 PM

I think you're right. Rutgers, Seton Hall, and Missouri look marginally better in the USN rankings, but I think they have more brand recognition than Cincinnati. I could be wrong. Either way, Cincinnati is a good placement, especially for a first placement in a U.S. law review.

Posted by: JollyGoodFellow | Oct 10, 2017 11:42:33 AM

@JGF. I still have not heard from BC, Chicago, Illinois, WL and WF. In all honesty, I am not counting on hearing back from the above.

Realistically, I am much more interested in a decision from SMU, BYU, Rutgers, Seton Hall and Missouri, as I think(?) that any one of these would be a slight improvement on Cincinnati.

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 10, 2017 3:39:28 AM

I got the Columbia ding on 10/6 -- a few hours after my expedite deadline. Never heard from BC, Florida, Chicago, Illinois, or W&L. Oh well. I'm happy with my placement. And happy to close out another cycle. See you all again in January/February!

Posted by: JollyGoodFellow | Oct 10, 2017 12:31:14 AM

@ukacademic: no & no. (only sent to top 20 journals this cycle--planning to do the full set of submissions in spring.) i thought maybe they had finished review & were cleaning house (send rejections to everyone they hadn't responded to), but who knows!

Posted by: writey spice | Oct 9, 2017 1:28:08 PM

Double ding today: Florida State University and George Washington.
Both on expedite.

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 9, 2017 8:22:05 AM

@Whitey spice
Was it on expedite?! Had you long accepted a publication offer from another journal?!

50 days is a long time in the US publication system....

My new expedite deadline is October 13. Honestly, I don't expect to hear from anyone at this point in the cycle....

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 9, 2017 6:51:40 AM

columbia ding after ~50 days!

Posted by: writey spice | Oct 8, 2017 8:49:08 AM

@JGF Congratulations!

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 7, 2017 3:14:42 AM

Just accepted W&M Bill of Rights Journal.

Posted by: JollyGoodFellow | Oct 6, 2017 5:39:28 PM

@JGF in the Prawfsblawgs metaranking (http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblawg/2016/04/2016-meta-ranking-of-flagship-us-law-reviews.html) it ranks #60

I am delighted. Thank you very much for the support!

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 6, 2017 3:52:49 PM

Well, W&L ranks the law review 103. If you filter by general law reviews, it ranks 72. The school's US News ranking is 72. I think most faculty use the USN ranking. Congratulations!

Posted by: JollyGoodFellow | Oct 6, 2017 3:30:38 PM

Hi All. Is it accepted that Cincinnati Law Review is a solid T-100?

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 6, 2017 3:21:58 PM

Nope. Deadline in 3 hours. Prepared to accept my current offer.

Posted by: JollyGoodFellow | Oct 6, 2017 1:47:17 PM

Ding from American University Law Review. From expedite. 1 hour before the deadline.

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 6, 2017 1:14:15 PM

Columbia Essays & Reviews is done

Posted by: guest | Oct 6, 2017 10:48:48 AM

@JollyGoodFellow, have you heard anything yet? The deadline for one of my "leading" publication offers is today...

@Kitty. I am equally struggling to develop a reliable system to rank competing publication offers.

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 6, 2017 8:01:05 AM

Hey guys. @UKacademic still waiting on a few of those too. I'm obviously more pessimistic than you though, and my expedite clock runs out tomorrow night. On the table I still have Cardozo A&E, Cleveland state, and now transnational law & contemporary problems, which W&L ranks pretty badly but is a university of Iowa journal, so some of my peers here have been nudging me in that direction.

I don't know guys, it seems like this system is designed to trip you up if you don't know the US market all that well. I don't know how to trade off between these three choices.

Posted by: herekitty | Oct 5, 2017 5:57:37 PM

Thanks for this update.

Earlier today, I received a ding from the Harvard Journal of Law & Tech from an expedite request - allegedly, I made it to the final board decision.

I still hope to receive a few more decisions before 6/10.

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 5, 2017 11:24:55 AM

@Specialty v. flagship for what it's worth, I would take the #75, unless the specialty is especially well known in the field.

@UKacademic i believe lewis and clark is full for the fall and spring issues.

Posted by: postdoc | Oct 5, 2017 9:40:33 AM

I know that this is seemingly an age-old and oft-asked question, but: Should I go with a specialty at a number 4-6 school (CCN) or a flagship at an approximately #75 school? In case it’s relevant, I have two law review pubs so far, one at a top ten specialty and one at a flagship at a circa number 90-100 school. Thanks in advance for any input! :)

Posted by: Specialty vs flagship | Oct 4, 2017 9:31:09 PM


Nope. But I did not email the ones you are waiting for. As I mentioned earlier, my ambition are limited.

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 4, 2017 12:04:26 PM

Any of the ones I'm waiting for tell you they're full?

Posted by: JollyGoodFellow | Oct 4, 2017 11:33:49 AM


My emails have yielded replies from editors. For the most part, I have been told that they are now full and that they did not have a chance to review my submission.

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 4, 2017 9:40:22 AM

Realistically, I am targeting the T-50, T-100 range. This would be my first publication in a US law review....so I am neither ambitious nor optimistic.

I am waiting to hear from Chicago, BC, Columbia, Florida, Illinois, W&L, Georgetown, Albany, American, Akron, Arizona, Buffalo, BYU, Conecticut, Denver, DePaul, Indiana, Lewis & Clark, Loyola Chicago, Loyola LA, Mississippi, Missouri, Penn State, South Carolina and Tennessee.

I have sent a few emails last night.... politely asking for an expedite decision.
Following the scholastica expedite requests, I was hoping to receive more decisions. Silence is ambiguous.

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 4, 2017 4:47:01 AM

I'm still waiting for Chicago, BC, Columbia, Florida, Illinois, and W&L. You?

Posted by: JollyGoodFellow | Oct 3, 2017 7:07:36 PM

JGF, I am just hoping for a last minute offer. I have not lost all hope yet.

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 3, 2017 7:05:02 PM

UK, I have the same expedite deadline. I got a ding from Northwestern this morning though.

Posted by: JollyGoodFellow | Oct 3, 2017 5:49:20 PM

Everything has been quiet for the past 72 hours, on my end.
My expedites expire on 6 October.

Posted by: UKacademic | Oct 3, 2017 5:17:25 PM

Has anyone gotten an offer after the expedite deadline?

Posted by: JollyGoodFellow | Oct 2, 2017 2:24:47 PM

Thanks to all the anons for the responses. I guess a little bit of info about my situation would be helpful. I am a US citizen and got my JD at a T14, but currently have a faculty position in Europe. I have mainly published in (respectable!) European journals, in both English and Dutch. I want to move back home in the next 12-18 months for family reasons, so am getting my CV ready by trying to branch out to US journals.

I had the same perception about Cardozo A&E punching above its weight in terms of reputation, but it's difficult to know whether "brand" should be a bigger consideration than raw metrics on impact etc...

Posted by: herekitty | Oct 2, 2017 7:03:57 AM

Hmmmm, now I'm siding with anonprof1234. I thought Cardozo's A&E Journal had was one of those 'special' secondary journals that was uniquely respected. I'm not sure why I thought that. I think anon1234 is right.

Posted by: Anon__ | Oct 1, 2017 11:42:37 PM

cleveland state for sure. no debate in my mind. plus, you probably have more time to expedite with CSU

Posted by: anonprof1234 | Oct 1, 2017 9:30:57 PM

herekitty, what's your situation? Do you have a faculty job? Looking for one? Have you already published?

A good way to deal with tougher tie breakers is to look at who's publishing with each journal. That way, you can determine which peer group you'd rather join. Another rule of thumb used by some people is, as an employer, who would you rather hire: a CSU law review student or one from the Cardozo journal.

Posted by: Anon__ | Oct 1, 2017 9:08:32 PM

hey guys, thanks for your views, seems like Cardozo might be coming out on top! To complicate things further, I was just eating some ribs and watching football, received an offer from the Cleveland State Law Review and got BBQ sauce all over my laptop in shock.

Any thoughts on how that affects my position? The offer, not the ribs...

Posted by: herekitty | Oct 1, 2017 6:21:22 PM

@anon: shoot them an email asking to confirm. i don't want to make anyone paranoid, but i once had an expedite from journal A and a very vague expression of interest from journal B (minimal interest). when the deadline arrived with no word i emailed saying, just confirming you do not want to take the piece. the editor wrote back basically "oh yeah we voted to accept sorry i forgot to let you know." so, it does happen.

Posted by: writey spice | Sep 30, 2017 10:05:31 PM

I got a voicemail from Harvard CR-CL earlier this week letting me know that my article would be considered by the full board this Thursday. I returned the message to confirm that I am still interested in publication with them but haven't heard anything further. Should I assume the silence means the full board decided not to offer me publication or follow up?

Posted by: anon | Sep 30, 2017 8:15:05 AM

Ding from Florida on expedite.

I am also intrigued by the Cardozo vs Richmond debate.

Posted by: UKacademic | Sep 29, 2017 12:00:14 PM

I'd say Cardozo, too.

Posted by: IP person | Sep 29, 2017 9:32:39 AM

I would go with Cardozo. Seems better known and the difference in W&L rankings is insignificant IMO.

Posted by: abcd | Sep 29, 2017 12:59:37 AM

hey guys, another "would you rather" if anyone wants to play...

Cardozo Arts & Entertainment Law Journal or Richmond Journal of Law and Technology?

Any/all opinions welcome. W&L rank Richmond more highly, but US news suggests Cardozo is better...

Posted by: herekitty | Sep 28, 2017 4:32:48 PM

See, I told everyone USC would email you back if you emailed them! Glad it worked so I was not an anomaly. They never change the Scholastica - I still have my article as pending. They only accept 12 articles a year they claim so at this point if you don't hear from USC you don't really need to email them to know it's a ding though. But people know that in the future that if they really need to know they can always email directly to see if they respond.

Posted by: anon | Sep 28, 2017 2:58:52 PM

Southern California e-mailed me a ding so personal that, while it was loading, I thought it would be an offer. They didn't make a decision on Scholastica -- just the email.

Posted by: JollyGoodFellow | Sep 28, 2017 2:05:21 PM

I went through this process before earlier this year - you have to decide whether it's more important to be published now or whether you want to take a risk and not get any offer and just resubmit in the spring.

I asked for an expedite and two journals had somewhat of an optimistic tone - one asked for an extension to take it to full board review while another just kinda dictated that they would not know until a certain date. I ended up getting an extension but was prepared to risk it and wait for the high ranked journals since that was more important to me.

Point is I think law reviews may speak alot more optimistically than what your chances really are. You can try to gauge how good your chances are - many of these journals are deciding only one article for the whole season. Is your article in the final review and it will be one of five voted on? Those chances aren't so good. But if your article has already passed certain preliminary hopes and it is more procedural things that need to happen (like a preemption check) that is a different story. And if you get an extension that moots the point. I would email Journal A through their email address and if necessary the direct email of the articles editor or editor in chief rather than just scholastica.

Posted by: anon1 | Sep 28, 2017 11:08:33 AM

I have a publication offer from Journal A, expiring on 29 September.
Journals B and C (both rank far better than Journal A) have reached out to me and told me that they will give me a final decision on my expedite on 6 October. Journal C expressly stated that they are in the "final stages" of the review process.

I have asked Journal A for a one week extension, but they have not replied.
Any advice on how to handle Journal A is welcome.

Posted by: UKacademic | Sep 28, 2017 4:37:41 AM

Thanks! I also submitted in early September and just expedited to them on 9/25. It's good to know they're making decisions and that they're likely to get a decision to me before the deadline. I'm not optimistic about it, given how late in the cycle we are. I can handle rejections, but silence is the worst.

Posted by: JollyGoodFellow | Sep 27, 2017 4:48:22 PM

Submitted in early September. Ding came after expedite.

Posted by: ding | Sep 27, 2017 4:45:22 PM

Ding, when did you submit to Chicago? Was it off an expedite?

Posted by: JollyGoodFellow | Sep 27, 2017 2:19:09 PM

Ding from Brooklyn on expedite

Posted by: UKacademic | Sep 27, 2017 2:10:07 AM

We have not heard yet from those authors who submit to what might be call in golf terms the "WEB.COM" of law journals, the law journal on line companions. Anybody care to share tips and strategies, triumphs and tragedies, or just general observations on that resource? One question I have is how does an author decide if the paper is best suited to be a short essay for a journal versus a long essay for n online journal? Or should it go to both? I believe responses from those in the know on any of hthe above topics would be most appreciated!

Posted by: seeking guidance | Sep 26, 2017 8:47:56 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.