« Why Study Athenian Law? | Main | Epilogue: Moral Panics and Body Cameras »

Monday, January 26, 2015

Submission angsting: Spring 2015

The submission window is just about to open and we await Redyip's semi-annual return-- some journals already have announced they are accepting submissions. So let the angsting commence.

If you are an author or law review editor and want to share information about your submission experience to the law reviews, this is the place to do it. If you have questions about the process, this is the place to do it. Feel free to use the comments to share your information (and gripes or praise) about which journals you have heard from, which you have not, etc. Have at it. And do it reasonably nicely, pretty please.

Edit: To get to p.3 of comments, click here. To get to the end of comments, click here.

Posted by Howard Wasserman on January 26, 2015 at 09:31 AM in Howard Wasserman, Law Review Review, Teaching Law | Permalink


I got dings from Yale, Chicago, and Virginia off an expedite, nothing from the other two.

Posted by: anon | Feb 18, 2015 2:56:46 PM

Question: Is it common for journals to give a heads up when your piece is going to the final stage of review?

Posted by: anontothe4th | Feb 18, 2015 2:28:00 PM

It's still very early. Just in the past couple days I've been contacted by Cornell, Nebraska, and WVU to tell me they just turned over their boards and are now beginning to review submissions. One of the journals at my school won't turn over its board until 2/27.

Posted by: jughead | Feb 18, 2015 2:06:40 PM

Rejection Michigan state

Posted by: Anon | Feb 18, 2015 11:04:52 AM

Definitely not time for despair. It's still early.

Posted by: Anon | Feb 18, 2015 11:03:38 AM

Has anyone received responses on expedites from Yale, Chicago, Virginia, Duke, or Georgetown?

Posted by: Anon | Feb 18, 2015 11:03:03 AM


Definitely ask for two weeks, but have a plan in case the journal refuses.

I'm hearing nothing but silence for the last two days, submitted about Feb. 5, and three rejections thus far.

Posted by: anon | Feb 18, 2015 11:02:07 AM

I got to a final committee read at Vandy (which ended in a ding) and otherwise just a bunch of dings. What do you think: Should I stay hopeful because of the committee read, or is it time to cue the despair?

Posted by: Anon | Feb 18, 2015 11:01:34 AM

Received an offer the same day as the submission. The journal wants a response in six days so that it can fill the last slot in the next edition. My inclination is to ask for a two week response time. Any suggetions for strategy in this situation?

Posted by: Non-prof | Feb 18, 2015 10:31:21 AM

Anon, did you mean University of Washington or Wash U?

Posted by: Anon | Feb 18, 2015 10:25:59 AM

Whoops, confused Wisconsin with Washington. As you were!

Posted by: anon | Feb 18, 2015 10:15:45 AM

Wisconsin stealth dinged me through scholastica! Submitted 2/8.

Posted by: anon | Feb 18, 2015 10:09:15 AM

Submitted 2/10 and was getting about 1 rejection a day, but it has been dead silence for the past few days. I would think the editors that are out of school for snow would have plenty of time to review...

Posted by: Anon | Feb 18, 2015 8:47:15 AM

Submitted 2/12; rejections from Yale, Cal., UCLA, Vandy, William and Mary.

Posted by: too much snow | Feb 18, 2015 12:14:54 AM

Anonymous, were all those dings off the original submission or after an expedite?

Posted by: questioner | Feb 17, 2015 7:18:04 PM

No offers but lots of dings: Chicago, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Columbia, Stanford, Harvard, Yale, George Mason, Florida, Vanderbilt, BYU, Iowa, Michigan, Notre Dame and Georgetown.

Posted by: Anonymous | Feb 17, 2015 6:41:04 PM

anyone getting offers?

Posted by: Anon | Feb 17, 2015 4:22:06 PM

anon3 I just was writing a quick comment no need to be so critical and rude also it should be "the silence is due to your article" not "the silence is due your article" but if your comment criticisms are anything like your real life criticisms I'm sure they are never directed at yourself

Posted by: Anon | Feb 17, 2015 3:23:30 PM

Penn ding!

Posted by: anon | Feb 17, 2015 1:59:59 PM

Very few (none?) of us write blog comments with the same degree of formality we use in our scholarly publications.

Posted by: function over form | Feb 17, 2015 12:36:02 PM

Another anon here, and I agree that Anon3's comment was uncalled for...

Posted by: anon | Feb 17, 2015 12:23:14 PM

Anon3, I agree with collaboration. Take the trolling elsewhere.

Posted by: anona | Feb 17, 2015 12:13:48 PM

anon3, i really hope no one judges my writing by my comments to blog posts. because seriously.

Posted by: anontothe4th | Feb 17, 2015 12:10:34 PM

Nothing "unsafe" about a comment on someone's writing style. Simply the truth.

Posted by: Anon3 | Feb 17, 2015 12:03:15 PM

Anony, I take it that you submitted a week ago (around 2/9)?

Posted by: Anon | Feb 17, 2015 11:55:35 AM

Anon3 - not cool at all (and I am not the anon you were replying). This zone should feel safe.

Posted by: collaboration | Feb 17, 2015 11:53:50 AM

Dings from Cal, Texas, Michigan, Vanderbilt, within a week of submission.

Posted by: anony | Feb 17, 2015 11:48:24 AM

Gtown sent out some dings on the weekend.

Posted by: Anon | Feb 17, 2015 11:34:17 AM

UCLA rejected my piece after I sent an expedite request.

Anybody heard anything from Georgetown, Northwestern, or Berkeley?

Posted by: anon | Feb 17, 2015 11:30:58 AM

Jasper--I may have submitted later than you did...2/13

Posted by: earlier anon2 | Feb 17, 2015 11:10:19 AM

Anon, If your comment writing is anything like your article writing, I would guess that the silence is due your article.

Posted by: Anon3 | Feb 17, 2015 10:50:04 AM

I feel same way too usually at this point I'd have tons of rejections and one offer but tons of silence wasn't sure if it was the paper or what it was

Posted by: Anon | Feb 17, 2015 10:26:48 AM

Do others think that this season is off to a slow start or is it usually slow this time of year? I usually submit in March, so perhaps it is just the time of year, but I have only received about five rejections (all mentioned by someone above) after over two weeks. Typically, I would have nearly two dozen rejections and a handful of offers, but, again, perhaps that is due to the time of year. Wondering if it was the right strategy to submit on Feb 1 this year. Next year, I think I won't submit any earlier than Feb. 15, or maybe go back to March.

Posted by: Anon2 | Feb 17, 2015 9:49:38 AM

Ding from George Mason, so I suppose that not everyone is having their articles considered when the board turns over! I have a bad feeling about this....

Posted by: Jasper Emiliano, Jr. | Feb 17, 2015 9:48:49 AM

UCLA may just be getting flooded with submissions/expedites. I expedited last week and gave them a week and they immediately sent a very friendly email saying that they would be happy to comply with the request. Ultimately they did not accept the piece, but they did get back well within the window.

Posted by: anon | Feb 17, 2015 9:16:39 AM

Is UCLA at it again? Asked to extend the expedite deadline...

Posted by: anon | Feb 17, 2015 5:17:35 AM

George Mason send classy acknowledgment and notice that submissions will be considered when their board turns over on February 22.

Posted by: Anon2 | Feb 16, 2015 10:53:08 PM

First week of Feb.

Posted by: J.A. | Feb 16, 2015 9:18:02 PM

Stanford ding. submitted 2/6.

Any recent word from Cal, Penn, Virginia, or Georgetown?

Posted by: Anon | Feb 16, 2015 9:11:24 PM

J.A.: When did you submit?

Posted by: anon | Feb 16, 2015 8:51:12 PM

Dings from Stanford, Columbia, and Michigan.

Posted by: J.A. | Feb 16, 2015 8:19:27 PM

But St. Louis did e-mail me telling me they were already full.

Posted by: TTT | Feb 16, 2015 6:48:49 PM

anon at 6:19 - in my experience, some journals will never respond to an expedite. Some might respond after the deadline. Others may respond within the deadline. It's a crapshoot.

Posted by: anon | Feb 16, 2015 6:33:54 PM

anon at 6:19 - in my experience, some journals will never respond to an expedite. Some might respond after the deadline. Others may respond within the deadline. It's a crapshoot.

Posted by: anon | Feb 16, 2015 6:33:54 PM

Rejection from Boston College

Posted by: Eagles | Feb 16, 2015 6:23:37 PM

My mistake. Re-checked Notre Dame's Twitter account and they said that they would be accepting submissions for their online supplement through today. Thought they were talking about their print law review.

Posted by: TTT | Feb 16, 2015 6:23:06 PM

When do journals tend to respond to expedites? Still waiting to hear from a bunch of them.

Posted by: anon | Feb 16, 2015 6:19:52 PM

TTT - where did you see ND is closing submissions? I'm just curious; isn't that unusual?

Posted by: anon | Feb 16, 2015 5:01:27 PM

Agreed. I think the exclusive submission pushes submission of your article to other journals out too far. For example, I just saw that Notre Dame was closing submissions today. If there are any current or former editors who what to weigh in, that would be helpful. My guess is that exclusivity might help a small bit, but my articles are such long-shots at those journals, even if exclusivity, that it is probably not worth the delay.

Posted by: TTT | Feb 16, 2015 4:32:14 PM

inquiring mind,

I've never gone for exclusive submission. What's happened thus far this cycle is a good example: I've gotten a rejection from Yale and Stanford. Both took 9 days to send the rejection. I received the notifications on the same date. Both of their websites asked whether the submission was exclusive. Had I agree with either, my submission to other journals would have been set back by at least 18 days (9 days for each). In the meantime, I've lost no time, and the likely outcome with those publications has already occurred.

Posted by: anon | Feb 16, 2015 4:12:14 PM

Thoughts on value of exclusive submissions? Had been thinking of doing it, but am worried it puts other submissions too far out. And have heard conflicting thoughts as to whether or not it is an actual boost. . .

Posted by: inquiring mind | Feb 16, 2015 4:00:21 PM

Duke ding (but they told me that I made it to the final round of review). Submitted on 2/9.

Posted by: anon | Feb 16, 2015 3:50:57 PM

Around 2/7

Posted by: TTT | Feb 16, 2015 2:58:22 PM

TTT when did you submit?

Posted by: anon | Feb 16, 2015 2:56:22 PM

Third tier offer. Columbia and Florida dings.

Posted by: TTT | Feb 16, 2015 2:41:09 PM

As someone in a similar position, I would say it is riskier to accept the T4 at this phase in the game.

Posted by: anon | Feb 16, 2015 2:26:19 PM

Another Minnesota ding, submitted over the weekend.

Posted by: anon | Feb 16, 2015 2:15:36 PM

Yes, hold out. Some of it may depend on the type of law school you are targeting for a position. Some low-ranked law schools are just happy you are publishing anywhere, but in this market even low-ranked law schools can be picky. It is still early. Some of the second tier journals get fairly desperate by April when professors have expedited up.

Posted by: AP | Feb 16, 2015 1:17:28 PM


You should hold out for the best possible placement. The market is so difficult that individuals with two or three Top 50 placements are not obtaining tenure-track positions. Even if you are in a field like tax, in which it is hard to obtain top placements, the 4th tier placement will hurt more than it helps.

Posted by: Two Cents | Feb 16, 2015 12:56:49 PM

Hi, I had a question for anyone who might have some guidance (apologies in advance for the length, just trying to include all relevant background):

I am currently in a fellowship and planning to go on the market this fall. I have one previous publication with a specialty journal at a school ranked in the low 100s. This cycle, I am submitting two pieces.

One of those pieces I submitted over the weekend and within the same day received an offer from a main journal at a fourth tier (but accredited) law school (the Journal is ranked in the mid 100s among general journals). I have asked for an extension on the offer and am planning to try to expedite up, but this situation has caused me to think ahead to a troubling question.

I know this is extremely premature, but what should I do if I attempt to expedite (say the next 30 journals up), and get nothing before the deadline to accept or reject the offer? Given that it is relatively early in the cycle, part of me would want to wait and hope that other higher up journals might still accept the piece given more than one or two weeks (depending on whether the extension is granted). On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be left with nothing.

My question basically comes down to how important placement is to hiring committees in looking at the publication record of VAPs/Fellows? If I took this offer would they look at it and say, great its another publication and now he's moved up to a main journal? Or would they look at it and say this person can't get into "top" journals?

Posted by: Questionable | Feb 16, 2015 12:47:00 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.