Wednesday, December 20, 2017
Read, Watch, Listen, Eat/Drink: A 2017 top five list
1.. Stephen Kotkin, Stalin: Waiting for Hitler, 1929-1941
Volume II of Kotkin's magesterial biography of one of the 20th century's most monstrous and interesting figures.
2. Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run
Sublime autobiography by the Boss!
3. Daniel & Richard Susskind, The Future of the Professions and Gillian Hadfield, Rules for a Flat World
Two insightful, interesting books on emerging developments in professional work, including law and legal services.
4. Nathan Hill, The Nix
Wonderful novel, ambitious and intense
5. Geoffrey West, Scale: The Universal Laws of Growth, Innovation, Sustainability, and the Pace of Life in Organisms, Cities, Ecosystems, and Companies
Fascinating use of complexity science to shed light on modern urban and corporate development.
Honorable mention: Yuval Noah Harari, Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow; Bill Henderson's terrific new blog, Legal Evolution; Lucky Peach magazine; Gillian Metzger's Harvard Law Review Foreword; David Frum's Twitter feed
- Florida Project
- Ken Burns' Vietnam War
- The Deuce
Honorable mention: Silicon Valley; Get Out; The Americans; 30 for 30
- Ahmad Jamal, Marseille
- Vijay Ayer Sextet, Far from Over
- The National, Sleep Well Beast
- Wes Montgomery & Wynton Kelly, Smokin' in Seattle
- Kamasi Washington, Harmony of Difference
Honorable mention: Kendrick Lamar, Damn; Thelonious Monk, Les Liasons Dangereuses 1960; Glenn Campbell, Adios; Philip Glass, Piano Works
- Proxi (Chicago, IL)
- Hog Island Oyster Depot (Tomales, CA)
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday (Philadelphia, PA)
- Rye Whiskey, Spirit Works Distillery (Sonoma County)
- Shephard Restaurant (Cambridge, MA)
Honorable mention: Shaw's Thanksgiving buffet (Chicago); Pok Pok (Portland, OR); Pliny the Elder beer (Russian River, CA); NorthShore Gin (Chicago); Union Square Cafe (NYC)
Posted by Dan Rodriguez on December 20, 2017 at 01:37 PM | Permalink