« Donald Langevoort: Cited in the Supreme Court | Main | The Zimmerman/Martin Case is Not Over as Far as I am Concerned »

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

The Angsting Thread (Fall 2013 Submission Cycle Edition)

Friends, I have it on good authority that Redyip is not yet visible but he is making preparations for his journey this autumn.  You know what that means. Feel free to use the comments to share your information (and gripes or praise) about which law reviews have turned over, which ones haven't yet, and where you've heard from, and where you've not, and what you'd like Santa to bring you this coming Xmas, etc. It's the semi-annual angsting thread for the law review submission season. Have at it. And do it reasonably nicely, pretty please.

Oh, one last thing: if you're bored while waiting for him to fly, Redyip whispered to me that y'all should feel free to read and send comments on this little paper.

Posted by Administrators on August 6, 2013 at 11:58 PM in Blogging, Law Review Review, Life of Law Schools | Permalink


TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The Angsting Thread (Fall 2013 Submission Cycle Edition):


Let me start: submitted on Aug 1. Rejections from Chicago, Cornell and NYU. An offer from second tier general review.

Posted by: ST | Aug 7, 2013 1:43:02 AM

Problem is, in the fall Redyip rests, delegating his duties to many smaller birds. Some of them are soaring now, others waiting until "late August" or "September 1" or (depressingly) "Februrary 2014."

Posted by: BDG | Aug 7, 2013 9:15:52 AM

Notre Dame full; rejections from NYU and Cardozo. Is there a consensus on whether it's good news to have submitted but not heard from a journal listing a rejection here? (maybe I'm extrapolating from the "B Team" comments from the hiring threads...).

Posted by: Guest | Aug 7, 2013 9:26:37 AM

"Listed as a rejection here" - apologies

Posted by: Guest | Aug 7, 2013 9:27:35 AM

I know SMU and Baylor are also sending rejections.

Posted by: anon | Aug 7, 2013 10:50:23 AM

So it begins. Submitted August 1. Rejections from NYU, Cardozo and Baylor.

Posted by: Not Even | Aug 7, 2013 8:01:55 PM

I have a friend who submitted for the spring cycle (mid-February), and was given an offer to publish by a top specialty journal the beginning of July. She already accepted an offer from another journal by that point. This was the first publishing experience for both of us...is that common? Journals fill up quickly in the spring and then send you an offer over the summer to get ahead of the fall submission cycle?

Posted by: Lurker | Aug 7, 2013 9:34:16 PM

Anyone know if the tax journals are reviewing pieces this fall? I'm specifically interested in the Virginia Tax Review, Florida Tax Review, Columbia Tax Journal, and Georgetown Tax Lawyer. I hope to get my piece out the door in 2-3 weeks, but if these places are closed, I may as well just wait until Feb/March.

Posted by: tax | Aug 7, 2013 10:45:18 PM

Good luck, friends! I'm especially looking forward to seeing what this season brings as it's my first attempt to publish outside of my primary specialty and in a niche area. To Lurker: I don't know if that is "common" or not, but in both seasons I have fielded extremely belated inquiries (a few months after CW says the window has closed and I'd already accepted elsewhere) about whether my article is still available, and I believe one of them was an actual offer.

Posted by: Viva Redyip! | Aug 8, 2013 12:50:36 AM

1 hour, 49 minute rejection from Cornell. new record for me....

oh and +1 journals all have different timelines this fall, some of which apparently are closing out this week (!!) and some of which won't even start looking until september....

Posted by: angsting | Aug 8, 2013 8:02:54 AM

angsting: Did Cornell "very much appreciate" your submission?

Posted by: anon | Aug 8, 2013 8:23:58 AM

What's a +1 journal?

Posted by: Anon | Aug 8, 2013 10:30:56 AM

anon @ 8:23 of course! (actually, joking aside, I do appreciate journals' prompt notifications when they're full -- it really helps me keep track of where things stand.)

anon @ 10:30 - i meant +1 "[the concept of] journals all have different timelines . . . "

Posted by: angsting | Aug 8, 2013 1:49:26 PM

Oh, and NYU and Boston Univ dings.

Posted by: angsting | Aug 8, 2013 1:49:55 PM

rejection from Penn w/in 24 hrs of submission

Posted by: updates | Aug 8, 2013 1:50:23 PM

Offer from bottom T2 journal, submitted 8/6. This cycle is weird, a bunch of journals are active now, but from friends at other schools I know that a whole lot are not starting to read until after 8/15 or even 8/20, so this makes the expediting game complicated.

Posted by: anonyprofs | Aug 8, 2013 3:22:49 PM

Yale ding.

Posted by: anon | Aug 9, 2013 11:06:11 AM

Wisconsin ding.

Posted by: anon | Aug 9, 2013 11:54:22 AM

Can those who get dings/acceptances mention when they submitted? Thanks!

Posted by: anonyprofs | Aug 9, 2013 12:51:29 PM

Every day that goes by without my article being rejected is like another hour in a dance marathon. I know it's only a matter of time before I get the tap on the shoulder indicating that I'm out, but it's nice while it lasts.

Posted by: anon | Aug 9, 2013 2:23:07 PM

I submitted 8/2 and received an offer yesterday from a T50. So far no one has responded to my expedite request. Are others also getting silence? Thanks.

Posted by: anon | Aug 9, 2013 5:49:18 PM

I just discovered a (foolish) mistake in my submission -- apparently when I changed the title of my work part-way through writing it, I didn't properly update the headers so the PDF printed with the old title.

I am debating whether to send an updated version with a note expressing regret for any inconvenience the formatting error may have caused.


I don't want to draw undue attention to the issue, but at the same time don't want to show disrespect to the student editors.

Posted by: foolish.... | Aug 9, 2013 7:21:29 PM

anon | Aug 9, 2013 5:49:18 PM - the word from many profs is that at least half of the T30 schools are not actively reviewing (even if they are accepting submissions).

Posted by: anonyprofs | Aug 9, 2013 8:20:53 PM

anon @ 8:20 -- my school (T50) is actively reviewing, whereas others i've talked to (T50) won't start until september. I think Redyip has delegates this year... the "early birds" and the "coasting eagles."

Agreed, it makes expediting complicated.

Posted by: angsting | Aug 9, 2013 10:15:43 PM

@foolish--I wouldn't sweat it. The header is often an abridged or even a different version of the article title. Also, my sense is that editors would probably be more irritated by being asked to swap out versions of the article for such a minor change. And FWIW, I doubt the header will doom your submission--I've always had major awful typos in my drafts.

Posted by: anon | Aug 10, 2013 10:31:10 AM

8/1-ish submissions. Dings from Yale, NYU, Chicago, Cornell, and Penn.

Posted by: Anonymous Hero | Aug 11, 2013 4:36:17 PM

Ding from Cardozo, 3 days after submission

Posted by: updates | Aug 11, 2013 5:47:27 PM

Anyone else encountering trouble with Expresso? I submitted on 8/5, then received an offer via private email from T2 journal on 8/09. The editor tells me the journal has made the offer also via Expresso. However, Expresso still does not seem to recognize the existence of an offer. Strange.

(And, when in Rome: dings from SMU, Cardozo, NYU, Baylor, Yale, Indiana)

Posted by: Research Fellow | Aug 12, 2013 2:58:22 AM

Submissions starting 1 August. Rejections from NYU, Cornell, Cardozo, Chicago, Florida.

Posted by: Not Even | Aug 12, 2013 6:03:54 AM

Submitted 8-7. This morning received offer from a school near bottom of T-100. Radio-silence otherwise... How high to expedite?

Posted by: quandry | Aug 12, 2013 10:40:33 AM

Offer from low T2 on article submitted on 8/7. Rejections off this submission from Chicago, NYU, and SMU.

Posted by: anonyprofs | Aug 12, 2013 11:08:31 AM

Submission on 8/9, rejection from SMU, otherwise nothing.

Posted by: CP | Aug 12, 2013 11:29:15 AM

quandry -- i've been told (on approximately good authority) that some non-trivial portion of the T50 journals won't even start looking at articles until september. others have nearly completed their review.


i don't know whether they'll process expedites in advance (they might?), but given i was also advised generally to expedite "in waves" from offers at that level -- i'd suggest going no higher than 50 at this point. if it were me, personally, i'd go with 70-100, wait a bit, and slowly climb higher starting the last week of august if radio silence continues.

also, my rejections: Chicago, Penn, NYU, Cornell, BU, SMU, Cardozo and a top specialty. submitted middle of last week.

Posted by: angsting | Aug 12, 2013 11:55:07 AM

Submitted 8/1 to top 50-ish and a few specialty journals. Quick rejections from Yale, Chicago, NYU, Cornell, SMU, and Baylor. Offer from top 30 journal on 8/7, with short expedite period (deadline was 8/11). Expedited to top 15-ish, and withdrew from all others. Only UCLA responded to my expedite request, saying they could not make the deadline. Happily accepted offer.

Posted by: Anon Prof | Aug 12, 2013 12:07:55 PM

Anything else going on out there? I submitted on Friday, and between the end of "confirmation of receipts" on Expresso and the near-silence on this thread, it was a long weekend. SMU and Harvard dings, otherwise nothing...

Posted by: Impatient | Aug 12, 2013 6:12:42 PM

Submitted 8/8. Dings already from Yale, Cornell, Chicago, and Minnesota.

Posted by: Fidgety | Aug 12, 2013 9:06:52 PM

Do you all say yes when Expresso asks you to certify an offer? I know the journals know we all play the expedite game, but I still feel a little bad about being so explicit about it.

Posted by: Anon | Aug 12, 2013 11:20:26 PM

Submitted T100 (non-scholastica) and to specialty journals in my area on 8/7. Indiana ding but otherwise almost complete silence (some insignificant acknowledgments of receipt by lower specialties).

Posted by: Acrossthewater | Aug 13, 2013 3:10:11 AM

Rejection from Richmond after an expedite (submitted 8/5, expedited 8/9).

Posted by: Research Fellow | Aug 13, 2013 4:04:02 AM

I also submitted 8/1-ish, and I've received rejections from: Harvard (on 8/5, they day they said they started reviewing), University of Pennsylvania (8/4), Notre Dame (immediately, told they were full), NYU (rejected 8/2), University of Chicago (8/5), Florida (8/7), Loyola of Los Angeles (told it was full on 8/5), SMU (rejected 8/1)

Posted by: Thick Skin (Sort of) | Aug 13, 2013 8:57:40 AM

For people who have done an exclusive submission to a journal before, is it typical to get a rejection from the journal before the window ends or is radio silence standard?

Posted by: jr. anon. | Aug 13, 2013 9:37:13 AM

Radio silence has become the norm. If a journal is interested in a particular piece - it contacts the author.

Posted by: anoff | Aug 13, 2013 10:34:58 AM

Anyone heard a peep from Stanford or Columbia?

Posted by: anon | Aug 13, 2013 10:50:25 AM

Can I just say that UCLA has the nicest form expedite email? We will definitely get to your article by your deadline. Yes, it was sent 4 minutes after my expedite at 10pm, but it really felt like someone actually wrote it to me. No snark here, it was really very nice.

Posted by: Anon | Aug 13, 2013 12:03:22 PM

hearing nothing.... i applied to mainly specialty journals beginning of aug...no rejections or acceptances...only one confirmation

Posted by: anon | Aug 13, 2013 2:14:04 PM

re query by Anon | Aug 12, 2013 11:20:26 PM, this is the message that expressO sends to the journal when you ask for certification of an offer:

Dear Editor,

Author [ ] claims that the paper titled, "[ ]", has an active offer from [ ]. If this is correct, please certify the offer in ExpressO by clicking the link:

[ ]

To avoid this in the future, please certify your offers to publish through ExpressO. Doing so allows an author to accept your offer and automatically withdraw the paper from other law reviews.

Posted by: quandry | Aug 13, 2013 3:33:34 PM

Thanks, quandry. I did see that letter, I guess I just feel bad that I told the journal that gave me an offer: thanks, but I'm going to see if I can do any better, so can you confirm my offer? Anyway, I know it's the nature of the game so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad.

Posted by: Anon | Aug 13, 2013 5:53:25 PM

Dinged by SMU today (8/13) about 5 hours after I submitted.

Posted by: Ta-dow | Aug 13, 2013 8:05:02 PM

Yeah, SMU is the new Michigan. Got my ding in a couple of hours, too.

Posted by: Anon | Aug 14, 2013 1:40:51 PM

Minnesota and Indiana dings.

Posted by: Ding Ding | Aug 14, 2013 1:59:02 PM

So with all these dings coming through, is it too late to submit Aug. 15?

Posted by: aerialprof | Aug 14, 2013 4:45:43 PM

Another ding from Indiana today.

Posted by: Young prof | Aug 14, 2013 7:31:40 PM

Ding from Yale

Posted by: Thick Skin (Sort of) | Aug 14, 2013 9:16:07 PM

It's not too late to submit on 8/15. I'd say only half the T100 are up and running.

Posted by: anon | Aug 14, 2013 9:16:44 PM

finally got my baylor ding! and indiana (indianapolis, not bloomington)

and i agree, 8/15 is not too late to submit.

Posted by: angsting | Aug 14, 2013 10:25:27 PM

Does anyone have a sense of whether the LRs that are frequently mentioned here are actively reviewing and accepting, or just rejecting the articles they absolutely don't want?

Posted by: anonyprofs | Aug 14, 2013 10:57:00 PM

Dings from Wisc, Baylor and Virginia. After a few days of complete silence (submitted a week ago), seems that at least something begins to move. Still complete silence from specialties.

Posted by: Acrossthewater | Aug 15, 2013 12:13:21 AM

Vandy ding, to go with NYU, Chicago, Yale, Harvard, and Cornell dings. Submitted 7/31 - 8/4.

Posted by: Grizzlish | Aug 15, 2013 7:19:06 AM

Indiana (Indianapolis) is making offers.

Posted by: Anon | Aug 15, 2013 7:45:22 AM

My NYU ding came 9 minutes after my submission. But I'm sure they did indeed "read it with interest".

Posted by: ILprof | Aug 15, 2013 10:37:43 AM

Post a comment